Mom of teenager in rare double shark attack updates on her daughter

  • Ann Blair Gribbin, mother of June 7 shark attack victim Lulu Gribbin, confirmed in a blog post that her daughter had surgery to amputate her left arm and right leg
  • Ann said Lulu was “conscious” after waking up from the attack in the hospital
  • As Lulu recovers, she will undergo more surgeries for her injuries, her mother explained in a blog post

The mother of the teenage victim of a double shark attack in Florida is sharing an update on her daughter after undergoing surgery for the injuries she suffered following the incident.

In a blog post published on Monday, June 10, Ann Blair Gribbin confirmed that her daughter Lulu Gribbin is “conscious” and “talking” after surgery to amputate her left arm and part of her right leg caused by a shark attack in Seacrest Beach, Florida, on Friday, June 7.

“I witnessed Lulu being here. Nothing about her personality or her funny, smart, loving self has changed one bit,” Ann shared with Caring Bridge. She may have lost an arm and a leg, but she’s here and we’re really grateful for that.”

Ann said Lulu had “the first of many” surgeries to “clean up the wounds” and “sutch up the amputations,” adding that Lulu “did well” in the process. She said that doctors were also looking for shark teeth and that Lulu told her she “want them” if they were found.

Ann told how she and her husband were “amazed” at their daughter’s “level of alertness.” She also revealed that the family met two men who saved Lulu’s life by pulling the shark away from her and bringing her to shore.

“It was wonderful to express to both of them how eternally grateful we are for having the courage to go into the water with a shark to save our sweet girl,” she wrote about the meeting. “Lulu was able to tell them, ‘Thank you for saving my life.’ Lulu is here!”

Basic image of a great white shark.


Lulu experienced “another important milestone” as doctors removed her central line, which was located below her right arm and was connected “internal to the heart” through which the drug was administered. Ann announced that Lulu “wanted to be a doctor” and asked her to look into wrinkle removal.

Ann added that Lulu is moving away from a “clean” diet. “Today she ate applesauce, jelly, Gatorade, and the best bomb she’s ever eaten!”

Lulu was one of three victims attacked by a shark on two Florida beaches on June 7. Lulu and the other teenager she was with were attacked just before 3 p.m. local time in Seacrest Beach. According to ABC News and WBRC, a 45-year-old woman was also attacked in the torso and pelvic area as she swam off the first sandbar in Watersound Beach, Florida, around 1:20 p.m.

In her first blog post, Ann explained about her daughter’s condition following the June 9 attack that she, Lulu, and her twin sister Ellie had traveled to the beach from Birmingham, Alabama, early last week as part of a “first mother-daughter trip “. along with “some of their friends and their moms.”

On June 7, Ann said she and her group went “off Rosemary Beach for lunch” and then noticed that “the girls and everyone on the beach were standing and looking at the water.” Moments later, Ann recalled seeing Lulu’s “dead” body on the beach.

Lulu airlifted to a local hospital following a shark attack in Seacrest Beach, Florida, on June 7.

South Walton Fire District/Facebook

“I walked over to a group of people surrounding someone on the ground, I looked down and there was Lulu there. Ellie found me and said, “Mom, it’s Lulu.” I saw the wounds on her leg and started screaming. She was lifeless, her eyes were closed, her lips were white and pale,” she wrote. “The wound on her leg, or whatever was left of it, looked like a movie.”

Lulu was then airlifted to Sacred Heart in Pensacola, Florida, where she underwent surgery because the shark “bit her hand and then her leg” during the attack and then bit one of her friend’s feet.

On Saturday, June 8, Ann revealed that Lulu began “breathing on her own” and woke up that day saying her first words: “I made it.” ”

Despite the “horrible accident,” Ann said she believed “God was there and had people there” to help save her daughter’s life. “She is a true miracle,” the mother said of her daughter. “We have a long way to go and our journey is just beginning!”

Never miss a story – sign up for PEOPLE’s free daily newsletter to stay up to date with the best PEOPLE has to offer, from celebrity news to compelling human interest stories.

CNN previously reported that South Walton Fire District (SWFD) Beach Safety Director David Vaughn said it was possible the same shark was involved in both attacks.