close
close

| Indians Fire Daily Update 11/06/2024NM Fire Information

Daily update – Tuesday, June 11, 2024

Estate: 11500

Start date: May 19, 2024

Location: 7 miles north of the village of Coyote, New Mexico

Staff: 186

Completion: 86%

Fuels: Wood

Overview of the most important events: The Northern New Mexico Type 3 Incident Management Team, led by Incident Commander Luke McLarty, took over command of the Indios Fire from the Southwest Area Incident Management Team 4 on Monday, June 10. The band in northern New Mexico is made up of members of Santa Fe National Forest and surrounding areas. They commanded the fire for the first few days after the incident before transitioning to SWIMT 4. The Type 3 team will now complete muffler repair work, clean and cool interior hot spots, and assess the Continental Divide Trail to determine the next steps to reopen it.

Due to successful firefighting efforts, 86% of targets were achieved, and many resources are either demobilizing to return to their home units or being redeployed to assist other fires across the country. As a result of reduced fire activity, written updates will now be provided every other day.

Operations: Today, forest company workers will reconnoiter the Continental Divide Trail from the top to the bottom of the closed portion to determine what is needed to ensure it can be safely opened to hikers. Hydrologists will assess the burn area to decide what repairs and remediation work may be necessary to protect the watershed.

Completion (containment, point protection and monitoring goals) and containment (where the fire can reasonably be expected to stop spreading) remains at 86% and the fire is not expected to progress further. The remaining 14% was not officially considered contained because no control measures were in place on the northern end of the fire due to the steep, inaccessible terrain in the Chama River Canyon desert. Fire managers expect little or no fire spread in the area due to limited vegetation and rocky terrain. Large logs and stumps are still smoldering in some areas, but most of the lighter fuels have been used up in the interior.

Fire department personnel, including firefighters, heavy equipment operators and forestry workers, continue to repair the silencers. This includes repairing roads and fire lines, installing water poles, seeding disturbed areas, chipping and cutting down hazardous trees (snags) along roads and trails.

Weather: Today the sky will clear and the temperature will rise. A rain shower or thunderstorm moving southeast from the Tusas Mountains north of the fire site is unlikely to directly impact the burn area, but gusty winds from lightning may impact the area during the afternoon and early evening.

Burn: Minimal smoke impacts are expected in the near future. Scattered, visible smoke will decrease over time. Smoke detectors have been installed and will remain in the communities of Coyote, Gallina, Cañones and the Monastery of Christ in the Desert. View an interactive smoke map at https://fire.airnow.gov/. More information on the effects of smoke can be found at https://www.env.nm.gov/air-quality/fire-smoke-links/.

Closures: Due to the Indios fire, an emergency closure of the Santa Fe National Forest area has been implemented. The complete closure order (No. 03-10-01-24-04) and a map are available on Inciweb. Circuit modifications to the closure order were implemented on Monday, June 10. Camping and water are available at the Coyote Ranger Station for Continental Divide Trail hikers affected by this closure.

inciweb.wildfire.gov/incident-information/nmsnf-indios-wildfire / nmfireinfo.com 575-323-2290 / x.com/SantafeNF / facebook.com/santafeNF / [email protected]